What is Best for Our Children

omceileen

Hi Mummies,

I am a mother of 4 children age 5 to 12 . I am also a music teacher.

I would like to share the importance of us as parents to consider our children's strengths, talents etc and plan the learning paths for our children. Also we have to allow them time to walk the path , make mistakes and stand firm in the decision despite obstacles. A change of path (maybe switching from swimming lessons to badminton ) should be made with proper consideration.

Recently a student who came to me for only 2 months has plans to move quickly from grade 1 to four.

After discussions with his parents, I explained the importance of good foundation and progressive technique is a wiser preference for long term good results.

Within a month, the parent came back to me and decided to terminate lesson immediately to focus on preparation for GEP.

I was stunned.

Initially parents felt he is gifted to move from grade one to four with no regards to the required technique. Within a month, directions changed !

The child is quite musically inclined. The termination will affect his progress in developing this strength with the haste decision.

Though some decisions are difficult, but at times it is wise to consult the professional.

Cheers !

wow! how do you cope being a mother of 4? i guess in today's society, everyone is obsessed with the need to attain success quickly and to cut losses. guess society will bring up kids the same way.

thanks for sharing e story. ya i guess they want success & want it quick. i agree with blueswimmercrab. society now is all abt results results & more results. academics. & now even toddlers aren't spared from this tough regime! i think even if a mom wants to bring up her children e 'fun' way, she'l b darned criticised for lagging behind. if u get wat i mean :/

sorry eileen i know u were talking more abt building a strong foundation in knowledge but i think smtms children just move on too quickly & forget how to have fun

Back